Your Home Next Year Awaits . . .
We're so excited you've chosen to apply to live on campus at Sonoma State. Research for the past 70+ years highlights the benefits of living on campus, such as students are more likely to receive higher GPAs, graduate on time and have less debt. This is all because living on campus allows you to be close to EVERYTHING, all the time.
Below is a brief description of how the application process works for the 2019-20 academic year. To improve your chances of getting your first preference, please complete the process early. To learn more about the options available to you, please visit our Housing Options webpage.
STEP 1 - Apply and Be Accepted (if new to Sonoma State)
Apply to be a student at Sonoma State University.
SSU will inform you of your admission status. Once you declare your intent to attend, you are then eligible to apply for housing.
STEP 2 - Submit Your Housing Down Payment
Log into SSU Online Services and go to your “MySSU”. From there you will go to Self-Service >Admissions >Application Status.
You will then click on the “Accept/Decline” button two times before reaching the green “Pay Deposit”.
- First-year students (domestic and international degree-seeking students) will select "Package 1" which is $556 ($1 Enrollment Deposit; $255 Orientation Fee; and $300 Housing Down Payment).
- Transfer students (domestic and international degree-seeking students) will select "Package 5" which is $535 ($200 Enrollment Deposit; $35 Orientation Fee; and $300 Housing Down Payment).
- National/International Student Exchange students will be contacted with instructions on how to pay the $300 Housing Down Payment
All students interested in living on campus must pay the $300 Housing Down Payment. If you are unable to pay the down payment, you may request a Hardship Deferment which reduces the initial payment and the remaining balance will be on your student account. More information and instructions are available on the Hardship Deferment form regarding eligibility and payment specifics.
Cancellation Refund Policy
The Housing Down Payment is 50% refundable once the payment is made if requested in writing by June 15, 2019; non-refundable thereafter. Email your refund request to email@example.com.
STEP 3 - Receive On-Campus Housing Offer
Within about 10 days of receiving your Housing Down Payment, you will receive a housing offer by email. This offer contains the license agreement for the academic year for which you are applying, a brief application to record your community and room type preferences, and instructions regarding next steps. You will have 10 days to agree/virtually sign the housing license agreement and complete the application; afterwhich we will not be able to guarantee you a bed space.
STEP 4 - Receive Your Assignment
You will receive your housing assignment in mid-July via your SSU email address. This assignment letter will contain your:
- Community (if applicable)
- Room type
- Roommate contact information (for all students living in your suite or apartment)
- Mailing address
- Move-in information